Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I am BORED....


This weekend was full of activities.  I found myself completely enjoying my moments with the children.  I do admit that at times, I find myself struggling with finding the “easy button” of parenting.  We have had our struggles over the last several months, but in the end..we have survived and seem to be going through a peaceful time.
On Saturday, I found my daughter uttering those dreaded words “I am BORED”.  I almost reacted with the typical response of “this house is overloaded with kid’s toys…what?”  However, this time I decided to make good and pull out the Christmas decorations. 
Three large boxes that were full of memories.  Each year, our collection grows bigger with handmade ornaments and I love reflecting on the history behind each one.  Our first tree to decorate is a small tree that we inherited from my grandmother “AKA Nana”.  We dedicate this tree to all the handmade ornaments made over the years
My daughter hummed and sang through the entire process and I loved watching as she pulled out each ornament and asked “who made this and why”.  I giggled as she reacted to the first ornament that she made.  Although to me, it was perfect; in her eyes it was a poor example of her capabilities. As we placed the final ornament on the tree, I told her it was time for the star.
I carefully pulled out the star that was wrapped in tissue paper.  Her eyes lit up as she was fascinated by how small and delicate it was.  I then began the story…  The star is more than just the final decoration on our small artificial tree.  It is the star that adorned her great grandmother’s tree when I was her age.  It is a star that has seen many Christmas’ and will continue to see many more in our house.  She smiled and carefully added the star to the top of our 3ft tree.
Once we completed the tree, we began to rummage through the stockings, garland, and outdoor lights.  Before I knew it, all was up and the house was festive.  As a final note of the holiday beginnings, I lit the Christmas candle.  The house began to smell of cinnamon and my daughter found herself grinning and humming again about the holidays…
As we finally settled down to watch a movie, my son thought it would be nice if we turned all the lights off except the Christmas lights.  I agreed and it was at that moment that I realized how much I love Christmas.  It has been a long time since I felt the true moments of Christmas outside of the struggle to buy gifts and the urgency to get it all done.  As we sat watching the movie, I couldn’t help but stop and stare at the lights on the tree.  I found myself focused on the “star” and remembering all the excitement around Christmas, as a child.  I felt a peace that I haven’t felt in a long time.
After the long year that we have endured, I was happy to have found this moment.  I was happy to remember how great Christmas was and is for our “family”.  I was happy that my daughter said “I am BORED” and that we brought Christmas to our home early.  I am happy that life’s challenges are not more then we can bear and that we are still able to see the hope, fantasy, and opportunities that the future brings….
So in Keeping it REAL, take a moment to sit in the dark and enjoy the lights of Christmas.  You might too find yourself reflecting on the “good”.  You might even find yourself looking around, picking up the phone, or sending a note to those that gave you the strength and vision to continue moving forward.   I now have that moment to remind me what is most important in life….FAMILY.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember to give “thanks” for the family and friends that surround you every day…

No comments:

Post a Comment