Friday, February 25, 2011

We are all going to die. We just don’t know when…


I woke up this morning thinking about what life would be like if I knew it was coming to an end.  What would I do before I die?  How would I protect my children?  Would they be OK without me?  This soon brought me to the big question.  “Would you like to know the day you’re going to die ahead of time?  Why or why not?” 
I am sure many have wondered or at least thought of this.  Right?  So as always, I hit Facebook early in the morning and posted the question.  I was not surprised by the responses, but remember I merely posted the question without any thoughts or opinions. This is a very sensitive question and many would ponder on it before answering.  Some didn’t even answer and I could only assume that is because they either: didn’t get online to read it or couldn’t decide based on the feedback from others.  Of course, my “bestie” responded with “Deep very deep”.  Her response could be of a religious response or just merely that she had consumed too much Nyquil to overcome her cold.  Either way, I shuddered offer her rebellion as I do with 5% of her aggressive coaching. I find her points very valid, but easier said than done.   (my best friend is a counselor…free guidance is great)
I thought it only appropriate to share with you some of the responses, before I justify my “Yes” answer. So below are just a few that I received:
“no I like to live to enjoy life and don't want to know when it will end.”
“No. I like surprises.”
“HECK NO! I'm a planner, can't be spontaneous, do you KNOW what that knowledge would do to a person like me? YIKES!”
“I wouldnt want to know, I enjoy love and laugh as much as I can with my family, I dont look back to see what I can change, only what I have learned. Knowing would make me worry and that would take away some of the joy! So no not knowing for me and cherrishing everything everyday is the way to live life. enjoy life!!!”
“No.. Don't wanna know.. When your number is up it's up. Can't change it so you gotta live your life to the fullest and try not to worry because truly it's out of your control anyway.”
Now, my thoughts on this….  Do we not worry every day about health and wealth?  Do we not wonder every time we have an ache or pain that it may be more serious?  Have we not stopped and thought about our mortality when we lose a friend from a heart attack, cancer, or an accident?  Everyone at some point in life has wondered..”When will I die?”.  We all want to know in some backwards way.  Otherwise, why do we get a physical?  I know most say it is to stay healthy. However, if they found something; you would want to know right?  And the next question would probably be: “How long do I have?”.   So there is my thoughts, contrary to how we respond, when it comes down to it.. I am just “Keeping it REAL”.  If you go to the doctor regularly and you ask yourself the question of when… you may be more likely to change your mind when the answer is truly available.  It doesn’t matter how hard we try, we can never live life to its fullest on a daily basis.  We only truly appreciate it when we fear that we are about to lose it.

1 comment:

  1. You have to understand, I was aggressive before I went to school. Its just who I am. You are the calm one, I am the aggressive one. Its why we work so well. Don't think you are the only one I'm hard on. Just imagine what I say to myself...esh. Its hard to be me :-)

    Love your new blog, I will read it daily. I look forward to the new ideas and thoughts you post. You write so well. I bet this will turn into a book one day. So remember...more about me, less about you :-)
    love ya like sweet tea,
    jen

    ReplyDelete