Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Extended Weekend.....


6.5" Caucasian Couple Tender Moment Figurine Cake TopperThis weekend was full of activities and a special day for friends and family.  I am amazed at how quickly it flew by.  We spent two days sitting around recovering from strep throat and gathering our strength to attend a birthday party on Sunday.  I knew that we must “recover” because this was going to be a very special 5th birthday for our little friend.

By the morning of the party, I had one little girl bouncing off the wall to go the party and one little boy who couldn’t wait to go spend “man” time with his Uncle.  I packed up all the necessary party “musts” and headed down the road.  I was nervous but excited for this was going to be a “party to remember”. 

As the party progressed, it appeared that everyone was having a great time.  There was a moon bounce for the kids, corn hole for the men, and gathering spot for the women.   I know that sounds so wrong but it is reality that at most social gatherings, you can look around and it truly falls into this behavioral mold.  The day was speeding by and the whispering amongst a few was getting more noticeable. 

By 5:30PM, it becomes common knowledge why this party was going to be so special.  It was announced that not only was this my little friend’s 5th birthday party, but a special surprise was coming her way..  Her mom and dad were getting married. When asked “when”, the response was “today”.  The cheers were heard across the yard and tears began to flow as families began to “melt” into one.

I found myself stepping back and remembering my memories as a child.  I felt the emotions overwhelm me as I watched the two of them state their vows (which they wrote).  I listened as they made specific promises to one another.  I smiled as I saw them both glance over at “their daughter” as they vowed to share in providing her a safe and loving environment.  I took a moment and hid behind the lens of my camera. I couldn’t help but think of all the memories that this will bring to their daughter.  The thought that she might one day reflect back as I do.. 

The moment that I remember the most from my childhood is the day that my mom and dad arrived from their honeymoon.  I remember the happiness on his face to see us.  I remember running up to him yelling his name in excitement.  I remember that second he took to correct me and said “you can call me Daddy now”.  It was a turning point in my life.  It was a feeling that I could not explain at that time.  However, now that I am older; 
 I understand that feeling.  It is a feeling of being safe, happy, and most importantly; loved.

This Labor Day, I saw the love that is built not by circumstance, but by choice.  It is a bond that will be stronger than can be defined or understood by any other.  I saw a man profess his love to not only one woman but to a child.  I heard him say…I promise to care for our daughter…as my own…
So in Keeping it REAL, I want to wish everyone a happy holiday and a wish that you too can find true happiness in starting over….   “When it comes to relationships, maybe we're all in glass houses, and shouldn't throw stones, because you can never really know. Some people are settling down, some are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less, than butterflies...” Congrats to the lucky couple and their success in finding “butterflies”.

No comments:

Post a Comment