Friday, December 2, 2011

Baking Cookies.....


I have to admit, this year’s holiday mood is becoming contagious in this house.  I truly feel that my year is going to end on a great new adventure and it starts with baking cookies……
As I sat watching my television last night, I found myself thinking of the Christmas cookies that my grandmother made each year.  I remember her standard stash and each year the same types decorated the desert table.  I realized that all of that stopped when she passed away and that the past three years just stumbled by with store bought cookies, cakes, and pies. 
I remember watching her as she gathered the ingredients and made the perfect size cookies (small).  I remember my son watching anxiously; as a toddler, as the cookies cooled on the rack.  I remembered a tradition that had almost been forgotten.
I am not sure what sparked my sudden desire to bring it back into our new family traditions.  Maybe it was the excitement in my daughters face as we made “pumpkin whoopies” for my bestie.  Maybe it was my desire to bring back the joy that I feel has been void over the last two years…or maybe it was just that craving for a bite of a cookie like “Nana” use to make.
I found myself late last night pulling out the recipe book of “Nana’s favorites”.  I found myself making a list and smiling as I thought of the fun it will be to make them with the children.  Once again, I found myself opening a new chapter and moving forward in confidence.
So my thought for this week, there are some things worth holding onto.  As I have gotten past the challenges of an unsuccessful marriage, I realize that although I am moving forward…  Sometimes when you look back, you see only the good memories.  I am FINALLY at that point.  This year, we are having Christmas “old” style.  The ham will be baked, the bread will be hot, and the cookies will be made by the hands of three generations and the memory of one. 
So in Keeping it REAL, live each day full of good memories from the past and new visions for the future.  When you truly get to the point of only holding onto those that were good….you will find peace in today and confidence in tomorrow.  Now, go bake some cookies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment