Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cows, horses, and chickens…Oh MY!

It is the last week of summer for the kids and we have decided to spend it at our local County Fair. Before we left for the events, we sat down to dinner and began to talk about what next week will bring… I started with my feelings of being “sad” that school starts next Tuesday. My daughter instantly chimes in and says she is “excited” and my son ended it with “nervous. We started talking of all the emotions and what was on our minds. Of course both of them agreed that with each new school year brings a new teacher, new classmates, and new requirements/expectations. I think our quick talk was good and the beginning of many more before next Tuesday.

We then quickly cleaned up, brushed our teeth, and headed out to meet friends at the demolition derby. I can definitely say that it was very crowded and you could feel the small town loyalty throughout the events. It was exciting and I am sure it will be a memory that will stay with the children for a lifetime. From the smell of the exhaust to the exploding sound of two cars colliding, my daughter couldn’t sit still and I could hear her constant screams of laughter, excitement, and pure pleasure in watching the competition.

After the competition, we traveled around from barn to barn looking at the cows, chickens, horses, produce and crafts. Everyone seemed focused on taking in every exhibit or creature present at the fair. It was the mad dash to the next location with feathers flying and children giggles throughout. I couldn’t help but step back and watch as everyone ventured through the pig barn. At that moment, I realized there is much more to the fair then what meets the eye.

I watched as parents bent over to explain to their children what they were seeing. I watched as children moved slowly towards the animals to give a quick pat on the head to a goat, sheep, or calf. I watched as children are reunited after having not seen each other all summer. I watched as time slowed down and everyone enjoyed the social time with both their children and other adults..

So in Keeping it REAL, school is almost in session. S-L-O-W the clock down and spend some quality time with your children, friends, and family. I now have built another tradition for my family of three and can’t wait to sit in the stands tonight and build more memories…

No comments:

Post a Comment