Monday, August 15, 2011

VACATION......


Hidden History of the Grand Strand (SC)Every year, we have a goal of one week at the beach.   We waited until the last minute, booked a place, and found ourselves venturing to Myrtle Beach, SC for a fun filled week.  Everyone was excited and I found myself leaving all of life’s stresses behind me. 
3 years ago, we started this “family vacation” and each year it seems to get easier.  I reflected on the first year at Myrtle Beach and found myself smiling at their accomplishments.  No bottles, no diapers, no pacifier and no floaters to prevent them from sinking like a rock.  I watched as they busied themselves with shell searching and boogie boarding.  I laughed out loud as my daughter played “you can’t catch me” with the crashing waves (she intentionally lost every time).  It truly has become “stress free” and their “independence” overwhelms me.
Before I knew it, Wednesday was upon us and it was my birthday.  Per tradition, “mommy” gets 2hrs on the beach alone on her special day.  In the past years, it was a welcome event and I looked forward to sitting quietly in the sun for my “alone” time.  I yearned for it each year and it would be my reflection time.  I would sit and just think of nothing but the sun hitting my face and the peaceful sound of the ocean crashing down on the sand before me. 
I got up that morning, got ready to hit the beach, and headed out…ALONE.    This year, my thoughts were different.  I found myself fidgeting and unable to find that “quiet” internal peace that I found in previous years.  I found myself down by the water, digging a hole, and searching for sea shells (like I had done prior days with my children).  I found myself walking out into the ocean to cool off and feeling that I wanted to jump the waves with my son.  I soon found myself walking back to the room to get my two favorite people to join me on the beach! 
So in Keeping it REAL…..Yes, life has changed.  I definitely feel there is a turning point in raising children.  There is a turning point where you find yourself moving from seeing parenting as a “job” or a “responsibility” towards seeing it as a “blessing”.  I am very thankful today for the time we had together last week.  For those that do take a vacation each year, take a moment to reflect on your first vacation with your children. I am SURE you will find yourself smiling, laughing, and amazed at how much parenting has changed over the years.  For those that don’t or can’t, plan a “staycation” event!  Make it a tradition and build memories for your children that will last a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment