Thursday, August 18, 2011

The PERFECT date…for a man!

He's History, You're Not: Surviving Divorce After 40So over the last several months, I have been meeting different people. I have enjoyed the “social” aspect but have found that meeting a complete stranger can be somewhat awkward. I have read many of the bios and laughed out loud at their idea of a perfect date. I think the missing link here is that what they write is based on “what a woman wants”. I just can’t envision a man really enjoying a “candle lit dinner, a walk in the park holding hands, or a picnic by a lake”. Clearly they are writing exactly “what a woman wants to hear”…or so they think!

So my thoughts today are on “what do men really want to do on a date?” After all, the first encounter is totally awkward, why not make it fun. Right? So I reached out to my FB family and emailed some other friends to see what they really thought. And although not surprised, I found it interesting that under complete confidentiality…the truth came out.

My question was as follows: Describe the perfect first date.. Assume you are already physically attracted to the female (we are past the picture versus reality issue)... If you could select the "first date" based completely on what you would want to do (not to impress the woman)..what would you do, where would you do it, and day/night event. Don't spend any time thinking about it..just go with your "gut" and your first thought

So what do men want? Overall, they all found food to be a requirement. Shocking right? The surprising part was the “type of food”(just joking, I had this one pegged) It appears that men enjoy greasy, sloppy, and paper napkin meals. The meals consisted of barbecue, tacos, buffet (oh my), and fried chicken. The event consisted of sports events such as football game, baseball game, and golf. Others wanted to get more physical and included a motorcycle ride, the shooting range, a movie (commented then I wouldn’t have to talk..nice), and dancing.

The interesting part is when you put all this together; it appears most men like “day activities”. Yet, we constantly find ourselves suffering through an awkward dinner, drinks at a bar, or some other form of evening social. Most of the men agreed that after a “fun” day/event, they prefer finding themselves slumped on the sofa (alone) and recovering from the excitement of the day to probably include over eating.

So I am sure you are wondering, why this question today? I was thinking about all the past dates or adventures that I have been on with men. I have found them to be awkward, uncomfortable, and quite honestly BORING. As I sat the other night with friends and family, it was announced that it was my besties mom and dad’s anniversary. At first, I teased him and said “You brought her to the fair on your anniversary…what did you get her?”. Of course his joking response was “I bought her ticket into the fair”. I found it so funny and at the same time PERFECT. Maybe I am a little odd, but seeing them sit with family and enjoy their time together was “REAL”. After all, it should be about time together and not about “what you get or what you think you deserve”.

I realized that it all begins on the “first date” and if you play your cards right; you will find that every day is a “first date”. It is about finding that person that enjoys the same activities that you do. It is about finding that person that will eat greasy tacos on the first date and still enjoy them after 26 years.

So in Keeping it REAL…. Don’t fall for the candlelit dinner or the dinner for two at the fancy restaurant. Fall for the one who takes you out on an adventure that truly shows you…who they really are! Over time, the “fancy”, “romantic”, and “over the top” dates will become rare. After all, we all want to be sitting on a crowded bleacher, eating ice cream, and socializing with friends and family knowing that we have successfully hit a marriage milestone of 26 years..

No comments:

Post a Comment