Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday the 13th..Oh MY!


Well today started out to show that 13 is NOT my lucky number.  It might have been the coffee that I decided to wash my shirt with or the fact that my heel fell of my shoe when I got to work. No, it was definitely the moment that I attempted to super glue the shoe together and soon found my shoe to be glued to my car floor rug.  UGH!  They say it happens in 3s so let’s hope my drama is done for the day!

As many may know from my past blogs, 13 IS a lucky number for my bestie and her husband.  Today is no exception.  Today, she will be celebrating with friends and family that she has completed her degree and will soon be off and running in her pursuit to make a difference.  I, unfortunately; have to work and will be missing out on her special lunch.  I wish I could be there, but she knows that I am there every day and that her education started with me…  So what do I mean?

My bestie and I have been friends since before our children were born.  However, we are both stubborn and when I moved from the neighborhood, we soon lost our friendship.  Both of us have a history of just shutting people out who cause any friction or heartache.  I think I can say that we “both” missed out during those years.  I never stopped wondering how her son was doing and if she was happy, but I refused to make the move to call or talk to her. (Another life lesson…)

I still remember the day that I saw her in the toy store.  I passed by without a word and then it hit me.  I turned around and went back.  I said “Can I at least see Josh”.  We all know what I really meant was “I am missing you”.  We talked briefly a few times and then she moved out of state for awhile.  I never got close with anyone during that time. I found myself “hiding” and becoming the unsocial person that I became. 

When she finally moved back, it was like we had never been apart.  We instantly shared our lives and what we missed. I can almost say I felt as though we were never apart.  We both picked up exactly where we left off and promised to keep the communication going.  Being mad is one thing, but turning your back only hurts everyone. 

So why am I blogging this today?  Because there is one thing that I have never said…  I have never stopped to say that “she came back into my life when I needed her shoulder the most”.  I never said that something drew us back together for a reason.  I have never stopped to say that I value all that she has taught me and that she has shown me support even when I have made stupid or irrational mistakes.  She is the one person that would truly support me even if the decision was not a good one.   She did not give me the answers…she gave me the questions.

As she continues down the path to a future of helping others, I want her to know that if she is as supportive of others, as she is with me; she will make a mark that will not be forgotten!  I am sad that I cannot be there today, but I promise that I will be there every other day….the way a bestie should be…  She is stuck with me and I promise to never turn my back on what has been my “rock” for the last 10 years!

So in Keeping it REAL, everyone needs someone they can trust, confide in, cry with, laugh with, and yell at…  If you don’t have a true friend, FIND IT!   Let go of those that are not REAL and hold on to those that will hold on to you!  And to my Bestie- you are an amazing person and I thank you for being “you” and dealing with “me”…  Happy Friday..let’s get that  porch swing rockin…

PS: SUPER Glue does not hold a SHOE together......

No comments:

Post a Comment