Monday, May 2, 2011

A Day of Celebration..


Today marks a turning point for many reasons.  I now realize that I have grown in so many ways and I cherish every moment of life.  I also realize that it is because of those that have surrounded me during my troubled times, that I am standing strong today.  They kept me going and they showed me to have “faith”.  Today is a day to be celebrated because it marks the 13th anniversary for my Bestie and her husband.  They are truly an inspiration. I wish them a successful year and many many more!!!
Unlike most people the #13 is a lucky number to them.  I know she would be ashamed, but I know that several “good” things have happened around the number 13; I just can’t remember them all to quote here (sorry Bestie). I have learned so much from watching their relationship and feel that the lessons learned are great.  I will not say they are perfect, but I will say that they know how to communicate and even the largest arguments are overcome before they hit the bed (not that I know how they make up…) Many relationships lose the communication and soon become a tumbling disaster, but both of them work hard at it and they continue to push the boundaries to keep the conversation alive.  I hope that someday, I take this with me and embrace this knowledge in a relationship.  There are also many other positives to their relationship, but in all honesty; I am too stubborn to follow those rules…So let’s just hope communication works for me!  So to my Bestie and the man that got lucky enough to become her soul mate..Happy Anniversary!
 
It was also announced last night that Bin Laden was located and terminated and the internet and television are overwhelmed with information regarding the details and what led to his termination. I am still a little overwhelmed with emotions over this turning point in life. I don't think I fully understand the feelings that I have and I definitely don't feel confident that this ends the 10 year (almost) war on terrorism.

As the news is covering the termination of Bin Laden, I sit and ponder on whether this should be a celebration.  I acknowledge the lives that he stole and I realize the destruction he caused the US, but I just can’t find it in me to “celebrate”.  Instead, I sit back and remember that day in 2001.  I remember lying on the sofa, sick, and pregnant with my son.  I remember frantically talking to my friends who had family working at the Pentagon.  I remember crying as I saw people jumping from the World Trade Center. I remember holding my stomach and praying to God that he would stop the suffering and protect so that my son and all other children in the world could enjoy the life that they deserve. It was a sad day and it was a major negative turning point for the US.  I remember coming to work and being saddened by the way my Muslim friends were being treated.  I remember feeling the “prejudice” coming back that we worked so hard to overcome.  I remember the lock downs and the interrogations. I remember the abuse of the prisoners and the bad military tactics used on them.  I remember the soldiers lost in the last 9 years and 7 months fighting for our safety. And most importantly, I remember to not forget! 

So in Keeping it REAL, I WILL celebrate the lucky 13th Anniversary of my two most cherished friends.  However, I will not celebrate the termination of Bin Laden. I will instead take a moment to ponder on those that we lost due to the misguided beliefs of one crazy man.  I will treat today, as I treat September 11th of every year.  I will have faith in knowing that those lost on that day are at peace.  I will hope that we will never see such devastation in the US again.  I will hope that today will be a turning point for those followers of Bin Laden.  I will hope that they will see that we are all the same. That we all have husbands, wives, children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, mothers, fathers and friends, and that we have one common goal and that is to protect the ones we love.  I hope that they will see that through “peace” we can conquer our differences and live in harmony as one world. 

I hope you will also join me in taking a moment to remember… Remember, what brought us to today and remember how we felt on 09/11 when we watched the Bin Laden celebrators dancing in the streets.   Let us learn from this..and although we will never forget…we should always try to forgive.  Let us hope that this Monday brings peace to the US and that my Besties “Lucky 13” works in our favor and that this year will bring home our soldiers and that terrorism will become text book history that does not repeat itself.  PEACE and LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment