Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother’s Day…


As we move into the weekend of celebration of Mother’s Day, I have pondered on “what I want this year”.  Do I want to spend it with my children? Do I want to have some “alone” time?  Do I want to just let it blow over as “just another day”?

In the past, I would have marveled on the idea of a nice gift. I would have hoped for flowers and something that said I was the #1 Mom.  This year seems different.  I feel more confident in knowing that I am doing the best that I can. I feel confident in knowing that I have successfully transitioned to being a single mom.  I feel confident in knowing that materialistic things come and go.   I no longer yearn for the shimmering diamond necklace or the day at the high dollar spa.   I look for nothing except to get through the next parenting obstacle and move forward as the new me.  I enjoy the moments at night alone, pondering on the day and how successfully or unsuccessfully it ended.  I enjoy the moments of hugs and laughter and the quality time that I spend with my children, family, and friends.  I am learning to enjoy life.

So, what do I want for mother’s day? I want a hug, a laugh, conversation time with my bestie, and most importantly…I want time.  I want time to enjoy those that have made my life so special.  A moment to tell each of them that I appreciate them, and that they are more than just my child, my mother, my sister, or my friend.  I want them to realize that being a mother is not a standalone job.  I could never have succeeded without you.  Mother’s Day to me is just a day to celebrate that I had “help” and I made it this far.  It will also be a day to remind me that I could not and would not do it alone. 

So in Keeping it REAL, I want to say Thank you!  Thank you to my Bestie who kept me from falling apart.  Thank you to my mom, who sacrifices her time to help care for my children.  Thank you to my sister who entertains my children so I can get a break.  And I saved the best for last….Thank you to my children for showing me unconditional love and teaching me that love conquers all…  So Happy Mother’s Day to all those that have made me successful over the last 9 years!  Have a Great Weekend and I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment