Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Last Day of School….

Intex Pool Ground ClothUniFlame WAD820SP 34-Inch Slate & Marble Firepit with Copper AccentsSLOW CHILDREN PLAYING yellow street sign
So today marks the official summer vacation for the kids.  It is also the beginning of the fun days for all of us.  I love summer vacation because the kids enjoy staying up late (time with mom) and sleeping in (break for their grandmother).  I also enjoy the reduction in traffic on my daily commute to and from work.  The hard part…going to work and not getting to stay home with my favorite little people.

As a single mother, it is hard to maneuver the schedule in the winter (during school), but in the summer…anything goes! I realize that “structure” is important, but every now and again; you need a little chaos.  Right?

So the plan for the summer is….”THERE IS NO PLAN”.  My goal is to enjoy the nights, enjoy the weekends, and enjoy the time with my honor roll children.  
  
As I left for work this morning, I felt sad that I was not able to see them off on the bus and that I would not be there when they got home. I often wonder if they will hold resentment for the dedication I have to providing for our family.  I kissed both of them and told them that I loved them.  They both said they understood and they were just excited to stay up late and have fun…  I hope that continues as I find myself missing “field trips”, “school parties”, and pick up/drop off.  I hope they know that I too think of all that I am missing and look forward to the handful of times that I am able to attend.

I hope that our “summer” time will make up for all those missed events/activities and that next year they will go to school feeling complete and full of love for the summer fun that they experienced! 

So to my children, the backyard is ready.  The pool is calling your names and the fire pit is craving some marshmallow disasters.  I hope we can laugh, relax, and enjoy the late nights making up for the last 10 months. 

To my neighbors, I apologize now because you will have to deal with the laughter, screaming, and pure kid play that will go on late into the night. After all, that is what summer fun is all about.

To my friends, beware when entering the “backyard”, you may find laughter and happiness is contagious;  be prepared to get wet, over eat, and never want to leave

So in Keeping it REAL, Life in the backyard is getting better every day!  If you are feeling the guilt, go out and build a fun place in your backyard.  It is the simplest of tasks and can bring pure happiness to all that enter!  Happy Last Day of School!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment