Thursday, June 30, 2011

The STRUGGLE.....

I often find myself having to work hard to prove my capabilities, whether in work, parenting, or even just in being a friend. I also think to myself “does everyone else have to work this hard?”.  Today is a day that I am pondering my personality and what makes me the “worker on a mission that goes nowhere”.

Why am I thinking about this today?  I guess it was the long day at work and the struggle to watch others get ahead without any other action but “talk”.   I was always brought up to work hard and you will benefit from your dedication, commitment, and drive.  However, it seems like that is not always the case.

In my previous job, there were obstacles and challenges throughout the job.  I was constantly struggling to keep my head up and the business going with minimal “worker bees”.  I remember even making phone calls from home just to attempt to collect on past due accounts. I saw others sit and complain and show little activity.  I even saw them refuse to work over the weekend or after 6pm.  I would hear “I have plans”.  I was constantly puzzled by all of it and continued to struggle to prove my value once the company changed leadership.  I never understood why I had to struggle to show my capabilities and dedication to the business success.  Although a challenge and a definite learning lesson, I will say that when I left; those that thought I brought no value are still in my contact file.  I also feel confident that they soon learned the dedication that I gave to attempting to succeed.   

Now, I find myself doing the same thing in my current position.  I hear “chatter” and “lots of talk”.  I see people getting the spotlight with minimal “action” to reflect the justification.  I wonder why this happens.  I wonder if it is because I don’t blow hot air out of my mouth just to show that I am there.  I wonder if it is because I am a single mother or just a woman in general.  I wonder if it will ever change.
So here I sit today…  Bitter and defeated!  Do I struggle again to prove my value and refuse to go down without a positive impression?  Do I surrender to the complete exhaustion from all of this and start looking for a new opportunity?

For today, I will not “play” the game.  I will not be the kind of person that corporate America expects you to be to succeed.  For today, I am going to be me.  I am going to do exactly what I need to do and go home to my children, my family, and my backyard.

As for my advice, today I am speaking out to all the working mothers.  I feel your pain and I too struggle every day to “prove” that I can be both a mom and a successful career woman.  I am not sure why the struggle appears greater for us, but don’t give up.  It is not about what “they” think of you..It is about what YOU think of YOU!  Work your best to be a good employee, a good co-worker, a good mother, and a good friend… and NOT in that order! 

Thankful that tomorrow is Friday.  Thankful that bestie will be back on Saturday.  Thankful that we are all healthy and enjoying time in the backyard!  Keep it REAL people!  Don’t be fake, don’t play the corporate games…be exactly who you WANT to BE!

No comments:

Post a Comment