Friday, July 22, 2011

5 Minutes....



Do you find yourself constantly asking your children “just give me five minutes”?  Do you find yourself spreading those five minutes over an hour because of interruptions?  I find myself saying this statement multiple times throughout the day/evening.   I also find that my five minutes becomes broken up by requests for a drink, a need for an item, or just a quick question from one of my “little people”. 

Over the last several weeks, I have been fighting Lyme disease and find myself completely exhausted.  I also find that the re-occurring statement is “please just give me just five minutes”.  I, of course; find myself dragging up and taking care of what my “little people” need.  After all, I realize that they are completely dependent on me for many things and I just can’t let them down.

As I sat having a phone conversation with my bestie, I found her saying “you need to write about 5 minutes”.  I realized at that point, I must be saying it a great deal during our conversations and started becoming more mindful of my constant request for “5 Minutes”.  I had no idea how much I said it during any given day until that moment. 

Now that I have become mindful of my constant “nagging” for “5 minutes”, I realize it is time to make a change.    As a single mother, I wondered “how can I get my time and still provide quality time with my children”.  Do I really need 5 minutes?  Do I need to step it up and accept that as a single mom, there is no such thing as a 5 minute break?  There has to be a comfortable way to balance both right?

So here are my thoughts…  During any given day/night, I may feel the anxiety kick in and I feel the “urge” for a little quiet time.  I have found that ignoring my need for a “moment” results in a feeling of complete shutdown when bedtime finally arrives.  I realize there is a reason that I am feeling this way and I need to step back and take a moment to “regroup”.   But how do I manage to get the time?

I have decided to organize one hour a night of complete “activity” time.  This is the time when I pull out coloring books, school refresher activities, and clay (no video games, no television, no talking).   Both of them have a goal to complete the tasks set before them and prepare to present their masterpieces.  What do I do during this time?  I sit on my screened in porch, chat on the phone, or just sit and ponder on the day’s challenges and adventures. 

The first night was full of “how”, “when”, and “can you explain again”.  However, by day two; they were prepared and off and completing their tasks.  Everyone is happy and I haven’t requested “5 minutes” in over 48 hours!!!  Not only am I feeling less anxiety, but my two favorite people have built masterpieces that will be displayed around the house for years.

So in Keeping it REAL, use your creativity to find your quiet time.   After all, we all need “5 minutes” but we shouldn’t have to ask for it….  Build into your daily schedule and soon you will find that your 5 minutes turns into a time of the day that both you and your children look forward too!  Happy Friday and I hope everyone is able to find their hidden “5 minutes”…

No comments:

Post a Comment