Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Play Dates....

Yesterday was an interesting day at work and I found myself completely worn down once I arrived to pick up the kids.  When I pulled into my mom’s driveway, I took a deep breath and tried to leave the work behind me.  As I put the car in park, I looked up and there at the door waiting for me were my two favorite little people..jumping up and down yelling “mom is here”!

I got to the door and receive a big hug from both of them and instantly I felt the anxiety from the work day leave my body.  We quickly packed up and headed down the road to our house.  I knew that this was the night for me to go “exercise” and I felt that tingle of guilt for what was to come.

Once we arrived at home, I quickly made mini pizzas for dinner, reminded my daughter to feed the animals, and made a quick phone call.  I then sat down to talk to the kids while they were finishing up their dinner.  The daily conversations took place and then I quickly said “mommy has to go out but I will be back by 9”.  I heard the whimpers and complaints and I saw the sadness on their faces.  I kissed them both and went out the door without looking back….

As I drove to “exercise”, I felt the guilt and kept thinking “maybe I should go home and spend time with them”.  I wondered if every mother feels the guilt that I feel when they walk away for some “alone” or “adult” time.  As a mother, I wondered if this so called “quality time” is really necessary.

I rushed through “exercise” and then maneuvered my way home.  I was relieved to find that both of my children were still up waiting for me.  I turned off the “video game” that my son was playing, made a bag of popcorn, and filled three glasses of water.  I worked my way upstairs and said “time for a popcorn party in mom’s bed”.  The smiles on their faces were priceless (since I hate crumbs in my bed).  We watched television, giggled, and ate popcorn until everyone got tired. 

By 10PM, both of them were sound asleep in their beds. I, of course; was in my room picking popcorn kernels out of the sheets and pillow cases (glad this is a rarity for me).  As I cleaned up the last kernel, I reflected on the day and my feelings.  I realized that when I got home, my children were fine.  It was only 2 hours.  They didn’t think about it the entire time.. My son was busy playing video games and my daughter was focused on playing dress up with her stuffed animals.   The only person who was “missing me” was “me”. 

So in Keeping it REAL, we do all need “adult” time.  The important part is making sure that the children do not feel that it is an act of retreat from being a mom.  As I explained to my children, parents need play dates too.  To all the single mothers, find your “play time” and don’t feel guilty.  We all need a break (including the children) and the welcome home makes it even more rewarding then the time away!  Happy Wednesday and remember to accept a little person hug today!

No comments:

Post a Comment