Monday, July 18, 2011

Old Soul.....


Old Souls: Compelling Evidence from Children Who Remember Past LivesSo this weekend was busy as usual, but we managed to make it through with only a few bumps and bruises.  By Sunday, everyone was completely run down (including me) and we found ourselves sitting on the sofa just watching the typical Disney channel favorites.
When it was time for bed, I first tucked in my little princess and then found myself sitting in my son’s room chatting about the weekend.  He talked of the fun he had at his Grandpa’s house and the thrill of getting to spend time with his good friend.  He then went on to ask me if I had fun.  I, of course; said that I had a great weekend and leaned over to give him a hug.  Then he said it…  “Mom, I want you to find someone to spend your life with”.
I was a little surprised and quickly responded that I have two beautiful children and that is ALL I need.  However, he didn’t stop there.  He began to explain that he wanted someone to do things with.  He said he wanted someone that enjoyed the same things that his “mom” enjoys.  He looked at me and said “I want to see you laugh and I want to see them laugh back”.   
I wasn’t quite sure how to respond.  We have always referred to my son as having an “old soul”.  He seems so much more advanced in his thoughts then a typical 9 year old.   At this moment, I felt more and more like that statement is true.  I just couldn’t imagine having those thoughts or ideas when I was 9 years old. 
I sat for moment and thought about what he said and how to respond.  I looked at him and instantly saw the sincerity in his words.  I knew that I must be totally honest and not hold back because if I did, we may not have these conversations in the future. 
My answer to my son…  I am not ready.  I explained to him that my focus at this time in life is to rebuild and energize our current family dynamic.  I told him that I love him too much to make those types of decisions too quickly.  I explained that he has plenty of people surrounding him that make me laugh and that the most enjoyable laughter for me comes from the mouths of my children.
I soon saw the smile that I love so much.  The smile from my first born and the smile that reminds me that everything is going to be OK. I gave him a kiss and tucked him in for the night.  Just as I was putting out his light, he makes one last statement…”Mom, I still want you to find someone”.  I responded with a laugh and a goodnight…
I found myself sitting in bed reading emails and wondering if he is an “old soul” or just more analytical then most.  I found myself smiling at how unselfish his thoughts were today.  I realized that through it all, he is learning to think of others and cherish time together.   What an amazing little man….
So in Keeping it REAL, even at age 9; they sense that something is “missing”.  As said in previous posts, it is important to communicate, communicate, and communicate.  I am lucky that my son shared his feelings and I am even luckier that I had the chance to explain mine.  Talk to your children and make sure they understand and feel confident in expressing how they feel!!!  And to the other single mothers out there…they are watching your every move, expression, and (most importantly) reaction.  It is important to talk through the ups and downs of life.  Be honest but not detailed and always end any conversation with a “GREAT BIG HUG”!  Happy Monday…Can’t wait to get home with my two favorite little people.

1 comment: