Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mom of Many......


People Magazine (Caylee Anthony Murder Case secrets & Lies, June 13 2011)Yesterday was filled with many emotions over the Casey Anthony trial.  As did many, I watched the case unfold over the last 3 years and found myself constantly reflecting back to the picture of little “Caylee”.  I found myself wondering what really happened and saddened by the possible pain she may have endured at the time.  I wonder could/did her mother really do this horrible crime and what makes a person lose their “mother” instinct. 
 
When I talk of mother “instinct”, it is much more than just knowing how to perform basic care.  It is that moment that you see your child for the first time and you realize that you would “die” for them.  That you would go to any means to “protect” them.  The moment that you realize that your ONLY goal in life is to provide a safe, healthy, loving environment and you spend your life focusing on that “goal”.

What happens when that “feeling” is not there?  What happens when a “mother” becomes jealous, withdrawn, and inconvenienced by the task of being a mother?  Is this what happened to Casey or is her story really true?  I guess we will never know but the verdict is in…and she was found “not guilty” of any harm to her daughter.

I definitely sat and thought about this one yesterday.  I thought of Caylee.  I thought of the short life that she lived. I thought of the fear she may have felt in those last minutes of her life.  I thought of the life that her mother should have fought to provide to her.  I looked into those big beautiful eyes and wished that she could have been saved… 

As I talked through my feelings at work, many made comments such as:
                “why is everyone so concerned about this case”
                “It doesn’t matter if she did it, there wasn’t enough evidence”
                “you didn’t know her, why do you care”

I sat and listened to everyone’s thoughts and some lack of concern.  I even found I was asking myself “why am I so stuck on this”.  At that moment, I realized why…  I realized that I am a “mother”. I am a “mother” that lives my life each day hoping to provide a good life for my children.  I am a “mother”, who struggles with doing the right thing and learning from the wrong.  When I look at “Caylee’s picture”, I become the mother that would have fought to keep her alive.  I become the “mother” that would have spent time with my child versus “hitting the club scene”. I become the mother that she deserved.  I am not saying a “perfect” mother, but a mother full of love and compassion to see her thrive until she became a woman.  

So in Keeping it REAL, I realize that we cannot change Caylee’s destiny, but we can learn from it.  We must all remember as “mothers”, our role goes much deeper than our immediate family.  We must take on the role of “mother” to all.  If you see a child in need of a hug, give them one.  If you see a child in need of guidance, provide it.  If you see a child in need of help, offer it.  Most importantly, if you see a “mother” struggling in their role of “mom”, don’t walk away…HELP THEM!  You might be able to make a difference and change/save a life forever!  

No comments:

Post a Comment