Friday, July 8, 2011

Alone time...Really???


Single Mother in Charge: How to Successfully Pursue Happiness (Women's Psychology)Today has been one of those busy days at work.  I had just accepted that I would not have the time to “blog” and my thoughts would be focused on work and what I am going to do tonight.  However, as I was washing off my yummy cherries for lunch, I happened to overhear a conversation and felt the need to “write out my thoughts”.  

Normally, I don’t listen to the chatter that goes on in the break room, but today…I caught a few words and couldn’t help but listen and get a little agitated.  I only heard the tail end of the conversation, but I can only assume the man (let’s call him Mr. selfish), was referring to a relationship.  He was saying there is no way that I would commit.  I like my alone time and don’t want to share anything.  Then he said those words “I can barely handle the time that my son is there much less anyone else”.  I stopped in my tracks of washing my yummy cherries and just gave “the look”.  You know the look that you give your child that says “straighten up or there will be consequences”. YUP, I gave him that look!  However, he didn’t stop there.  He began to talk of “if I won the lottery, I wouldn’t want to share….”.  At this point, I had to walk away…

Now, my thoughts on this….  As a single mother, I MIGHT get one night a month to myself.  If I am lucky, I might get a dinner out with a friend or just “alone” time at home.  I have had many struggles with people wishing that I had more “free” time or wishing that I could “go out”.  Yes, I am human and have moments of feeling sorry for myself.  HOWEVER, I chose to be a mom and I chose to take on the job knowing that I may have to do it alone.  I accepted the challenge and love every minute of it!
So why did this make me so angry?  I feel sorry for the child that is a burden to someone’s “alone” time. I feel sorry for the woman who is spending her time with a man that just wants to be alone.  Most importantly, I feel sorry for the man that his life is so shallow that he prefers being alone versus the company of a child full of laughter and life. 

So in Keeping it REAL, take a moment to appreciate your “together” time.  Take a moment to laugh with your child or cut-up with a friend.  There will come a day when you have no choice but be “alone” and in those moments, you will wish you spent your time differently! Time spent in the “backyard” is meant to be time spent with others….Can’t wait to go home, hug my babies, and chat with my friends!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment