Friday, July 15, 2011

Can I spend the night….


It has been a long week with work, camps, and Bible School.  The kids have truly been going strong and they have enjoyed every minute of it.  As the night came to an end, I found myself chatting with a mother of one of the girls that my daughter adores.  She asked if I let my daughter “spend the night” at other people’s homes.  I started rambling about her staying at my sisters and my moms, but that I hadn’t let her stay at a friend’s house yet.  We soon moved the conversation to scheduling a play date.

On the way home, my daughter brought up the idea of staying at her friend’s house.  I was actually shocked that the “little ears” were listening to our conversation.  I started to explain that I didn’t think she was ready.  After all, she is only six.  She started begging and promising that she would be good.  We soon found ourselves at the house, and she redirected her attention to checking on her animals.

That night, I tucked both my son and daughter in bed and settled down to a good book.  However, my mind wasn’t able to focus on the book. I kept thinking about “when is a good age to allow a sleepover?”  Is it my unwillingness to “let go” or is she really “not ready”?

I soon found myself on google searching for the “correct” age to allow sleepovers.  The postings and suggestions were all over the place from 4 to 9 years of age.  There were postings venting concern about “do you really know these people” to “parental anxiety from letting go”.  I kept reading and reading all the information I could find.   Then I found the one comment made by a parent….

She referenced the memories she had from sleepovers from eating popcorn to the “calling of the spirits”.  She talked of the memories and the laughter that she remember of her first sleepover at the age of 6.  She talked of confidence and diversity and the pure entertainment. 

I sat for a moment and thought of the “sleepovers” that I participated in...  Sure, there were moments of disagreement; but overall it was a time that I have not forgotten.  I too remember the laughter, the story telling, and the pure joy in sleeping next to my best friend.  I remember staying up late and being completely exhausted the next day.  I remember it being a memory of a “lifetime”.

Sanrio Hello Kitty Sleepover Bag - Hello Kitty Slumber Bag (Pink)So my decision in regards to the question “Can I spend the night”....  The answer is “YES”. I will be selective in who she can stay with, but I know that building a lifetime of “memories” is much more valuable than my “anxiety” of her not being at our home.

So in Keeping it REAL, pick your “sleepovers” carefully…  Make sure the first time is with someone that will help in building memories of a lifetime.  Don’t hold your children back just because of your personal “anxiety”.  Let them “live”…  Let them build memories like we have from our childhood!!!  Happy Friday…

1 comment:

  1. We do the same thing when we are unsure at what age something is appropriate -- google it. I don't remember when the kids started having sleepovers, but now it is a welcome break. ;-)

    ReplyDelete