Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dinner Party for 4....


When I arrived home last night, I was greeted at the door by both of my children asking “what is for dinner”.  I laughed and responded with “can I come in the house first?”  Once I got in the house, I plopped on the sofa and started talking with my mother.  The children were soon to follow in the conversation and I found myself being persuaded to go out for dinner.
The normal “out for dinner” event consists of a “drive thru” or a quick meal spot.  This time, my daughter was begging to go somewhere that we could sit down and eat.  She kept saying “I want to go to a fancy restaurant”. I kept thinking “can they handle a sit down meal” or better yet “can I handle a sit down meal”. 
After much persuasion, we loaded into the car and headed to a local mom and pop restaurant down the road.  During the ride to the restaurant, I kept reminding the children of the following: you must use your inside voice, you must use your manners, and you must behave.
P.F. Changs Gift CardAs we get out of the car to enter the restaurant, the kids are a ball full of energy.  My daughter was jumping around and letting out the “hoorays” and my son was “fast talking” about what he wanted to eat.  At that moment, I realized this may be a mistake but I kept moving forward and we were soon requesting our table “Dinner Party for 4” (of course I brought my mother with us for motherly backup)
To my surprise, the children were in “awe “of the decorations and seating.  We were actually sitting in a booth that was made to resemble a horse carriage.  I could see the excitement in their faces and I realized… “it was not a mistake but more a learning lesson for us all”. 
We ordered our meals, chatted, took pictures, and headed home.  As we were driving back to our house, I took a moment to tell them how proud I was of them.  They used their “inside voices”, “manners intact”, and were overall on their “best behavior”.  In fact, we have now decided that this will become a monthly occurrence…
So in Keeping it REAL, having dinner dates with your children can be fun.  It may not always go this smoothly but, over time; they will learn to “behave” when eating at a “fancy” restaurant.  Let them dress up and play the part.  If you never take them out (like me), try it!  I feared the “worst” for years and now I realize that they are more proud of the adventure then me.  I even found that this was the BEST date I have had in YEARS.  I can’t wait for our next “Dinner Party for 4”

No comments:

Post a Comment