Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Starting of a New Home..


If any of you have been divorced and live in the home that you shared with your EX, you will know where I am going with this.  I would have sold my house but thanks to the decrease in home value, I couldn’t.  I think it also helped in the transition for the children that they didn’t have to move. 

There are so many bad memories in my home and it never really felt quite like mine.  So I started removing “clutter” last year (I saw the impact it had on a good friend).  I worked on that for a few months but still felt like it didn’t feel right.  I went through moments/days where I just wanted to move far far away. 

I am very fortunate that my mother is there to help me and she immediately knew just what would make it better.  She began to paint!  That’s right!  The first room she did was my Dining Room.  I picked the color and on went the color.  We rearranged and added some new antiques to the look.  I soon found myself sitting in the dining room just pondering.  I realized this was because this room was totally mine!  She then moved into the living room, hallway, and part of the kitchen.  You would be surprised at what paint, pictures, and a new light will do! I now found myself moving back and forth between the new and improved rooms more frequently.  It felt so peaceful with the new colors and “me” style all over the place!

After seeing what my mom did with the other rooms, I found myself standing in my bedroom.  UGH!  What can I do?  Well, I took down all the pictures (yup still had some up that shouldn’t still be up)..  Moved my bed to a different location and started going crazy rearranging the furniture!  My mother had bought me a new comforter for my Christmas gift, so I pulled it out and started “making change”.  Before I knew it, I had a new look!

Let me give you some background to get you up to speed.  During my in-house separation, I began having problems sleeping and found myself awake every night at 2AM until 4AM.  I have tried medications, “special” drinks, and just staying up later but still woke up!  I struggled with it and continued to feel exhausted from the entire experience.  I would even go to my besties house just to get quality sleep on the weekends (and yes I slept there).  I knew it was stress related and could have been a result of the many thoughts swarming through my head, but figured it would never go away at this point.  But guess what?  I am sleeping through the night every since I rearranged my bedroom.  Seems crazy, but can you imagine the impact if I had actually painted the room? (that’s next)

I am sure you are wondering the point here. Right?  Well, here is what I am saying….  In Keeping it REAL, we can’t erase the memories, the drama, or the failures.  They are a part of us and make us all “real”.  But we can build a new home from an old one.  The memories are still there but they are now covered with new paint and are ready to receive the new experiences/memories that life has to offer.  So make “change” and enjoy what new surprises will be waiting around the corner.    You never know….You might find that peace is just a color pallet away…. Happy Thursday

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you and all the positive changes you have made in your life. I stand in aw of some of the things you've had the strength to do!
    Love you,
    Bestie

    ReplyDelete